Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Almost Forty and My Body is Changing!

Well, I am approaching forty and quite frankly, I really can't believe it! I honestly feel like just yesterday I was 23 and pregnant with my third child.  It all happened so fast!!  So, now my body has shifted gears on me and I'm calling this "second gear."  I am choosing to speed up rather than slow down no matter what but there are undeniable changes that are taking place and it would be silly of me not to recognize and pay attention to them. 

So, early last year I started noticing my body temperature was getting higher and higher and suddenly I was on fire when everyone else was freezing.  For thirty seven years I have been carrying sweaters into restaurants and movie theatres trying to prevent the goose bumps that grow on my arms like ant bites.  Oh the many nights of sleeping with my husband with air conditioning, the ceiling fan going, and burying myself in blankets to keep warm.  I look over now and it seems we have reversed roles as I watch him shiver while I am internally com busting.  What is going on?

I've always exercised but I have been consistent for the past year I would say.  This isn't necessarily because I love to exercise (although I do) but it's because I use to be on the exercise "rescue me" plan; work out 2 months before bikini season and I was ready.  Well, the "rescue me" plan has turned into a lifetime plan of maintenance and no longer can I be rescued quickly.  The results come much slower and with a greater price of sweat, exhaustion, and extreme determination.  None of these things scare me but it's simply the reality. 

Another weird thing; I have been breaking out in these strange striped red patches.  It started off as hives a few months ago and then turned into a more non-itchy cluster of red patches or something.  It's hard to explain.  I am living on antihistamines.  Anybody else growing chin hairs?  I'm just asking!! Oh my gosh!!  Between carrying the Benadryl and Anti-Inflammatories (for my knees) in my purse, again, I ask...what is going on?

My eyes have a few more "smile lines" around them.  Why do they call them smile lines?  I am certain mine are from crying but that's another story for another time.  I'm not crying now....hahahaha!!!  Life is good! The bottom line is the changes are happening whether I want them to or not.  The best thing is I can work to help navigate these changes through my spiritual walk with Christ because he is the ultimate power.  I can use the incredible things he's given me to stay in shape like eating and exercise.  I can accept the things I can not change but the things I can, I will and I don't have to take a back seat and let my body have it's way with me.  I will do my very best to honor my body and those around me by taking care of myself.

So, all of that to say, my body is changing, I'm almost forty, I'm in second gear, I feel better than I did when I was 23, I love myself, I love my life, and most of all, I love God.  This is the formula and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment