Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sticks and Stones

You know the old saying "if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything?"  This has been on my mind a lot lately.  It's crazy to me that I remember being teased as a child and the exact emotion I felt at that time.  I remember words that teachers said to me in Elementary School.  I remember positive words and negative words spoken to me but for some reason the negative words packed a bigger punch.

Just when we thought "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me," shielded us from the wounds negative words created.  It was a lie.  Words definitely hurt us and often times determine how we think and feel about ourselves.  Some of us manage to rise above those words but it doesn't necessarily mean they don't have a lasting affect.

There is so much to be said on this topic but here is what I want to say.  Surround yourself with people who love you selflessly.  Guard your hearts and be careful of those you let in.  It's so easy to overlook a slightly negative comment and then before you know it, what seemed slightly negative becomes a pattern of words that break down and destroy your confidence and your calling.  Believe only what God says about you.  Don't live in the minds of other people, rather choose to exist in the fullness of who God created you to be and let his word dictate your self beliefs.

"If you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything." I would say "if they don't have anything good to say, don't listen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment